The SAOC submissions are now in and will be evaluated next week, a new dmd beta came out - with __traits(getLocation) which I'm personally a little excited about - and a bug bounty thing is now live. My hot take below.
My thoughts on invested time and inventions are below.
This week, I wrote a new schedule server. Below, I describe how it works.
I'm sorry I haven't written much these last couple weeks, I have been busy with family.
Not much time to work on D this week. Got some open source contributions, but mostly the free time was spent elsewhere. This next weekend, I'm visiting family so don't expect much then either.
I spent the last week writing a lot of D code. My new framework in cgi.d is now operational, though it still isn't quite done (notably, the timing system isn't done yet!). In this post, I'll briefly describe some of the new stuff.
I've been very busy the last few weeks doing something crazy, which is taking all my time but I can't talk about yet. As a result though, lots of testing and formalization stuff in my libs, I'll write about it soon.
Thee last two weeks have been awfully busy with other stuff, so I haven't had time to write. I have been writing some D though - the arsd repo is about to get new modules for database code generation and web template handling.
adrdox got package releases in a few places, yay. I also wrote more about avoiding stringof.
My thoughts on the potential of the curiously recurring template pattern in D
New LDC beta, GtkD updated (and now uses adrdox for their official docs!!), and I think about CT/RT hybrid tests as well as some more progress on my new web framework.
I was just goofing around with webassembly a bit more this weekend.
I tried to improve cgi.d's build time, but it refused to budge; in this case, Phobos dependency was not to blame, so I have to keep trying things. (It is amazing how much D spoils us; this 2 second complete rebuild from scratch feels soooo slow.)
Well, DConf was this week, but I only caught a couple hours of it due to technical difficulties on day one, timezone on day two, and personal life on day three, so I will have to write about that later.
D 2.086 came out last week. The big news this week though is that DConf is happening in London. It is supposed to be livestreamed and recorded, but I haven't heard any details as to where yet.
tsvutils update on forum, release candidate dmd, rant on website weight
A new dmd beta came out this week, along with DStep officially reaching version 1.0! Meanwhile, I have been fighting growing memory usage in my programs.
obj-c and webassembly report, tips on is expressions linked.
I'm going to have to be lazy this week, since I spent last Monday through Sunday night at various meetings that demanded my attention.
Thread with Andrei talking about changes, rvalue ref brought up again (this time by Andrei), tip on CTFE in -betterC, Adam works on web stuff more.
I forgot to post last week, so I slapped that post up without commentary, and now for this week, I write a little about a module that has been sitting in my repo for a long time, but hasn't been very useful. Now, it is minimally useful.
DConf schedule release. Otherwise, tbh, I forgot to write and post this week.
New LDC beta came out, DConf proposal deadline passes, old DIPs get status updates. Adam rants about responsive design.
Well, most my D work this week was playing with the Objective-C binding. I filed a few bugs and Jacob fixed them, but not all made it into the release. I am awaiting the point release to do more with it, but with the understanding I have of Obj-C now, I was able to get create window in simpledisplay working on Cocoa again.
More DIP talk in the forums, but I basically ignored all that and played with the new Objective-C interop and some runtime-less D code this week.
The new dmd beta came out this week, with lots of objective-C stuff, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Meanwhile, we got another LDC release, and in my world, I made some more progress on my new D web framework.
I got some work done on new web interface generation this week. A new dmd bug fix release came out, among many other community announcements, too.
I spent a huge amount of last week helping a friend do a last-minute move and dealing with a lot of snow... for the second week in a row! As I look outside now, the sun is out and we are back to a whopping 50 degrees Fahrenheit, so I don't wanna sit here typing on the computer for long.
GtkD blog, forum fundraiser, ref accept rvalue DIP argument, and more. Adam rants about libraries.
I was approached to write "Last Year in D" for the official blog, and spent much of my free time this week working on that. Upstream, I noticed a little more obj-c code merged, some talk about wrapping C++'s new operator for D as yet another memory management option, and there is a forum post (again) about expanding D to read zip files directly.
In the dmd land, the Objective-C binding keeps getting new stuff pulled, so that is progressing quickly right now, and in my world, I am writing new from-scratch reflection using dmd's new features.
I've had a crazy week with a lot of offline stuff and a lot of day job related work. So, alas, no time to write much for this issue, and I haven't finished the stuff I talked about last week :(
While the newsgroup raged about professionalism, a new DCD, DScanner, DServer, and other IDE helper tools came out, and I spent the week writing some new code in cgi.d - add-on servers. Also, TWID has its RSS feed live again!
Big announcement this week: DConf 2019 announced for May 8 - 11, 2019 in London. And I want to call out the thread on CTFE floating point printing - that is some hard code, so having a self-contained port that happens to be CTFEable is cool to keep in mind! Lastly, read on for statements-in-mixin-template tip!
After a year hiatus, This Week in D is back! However, this time, I want to do things a little differently: